Saturday, June 15, 2013

First Veggies: Radish Harvest

At our home here in Minneapolis we were fortunate enough to inherit (ok, rent) a backyard with a charming veggie garden and 3 raised beds for growing veggies.  This was a pleasant surprise in the spring, as the whole yard was covered with a good foot of snow when we rented the house in January.  As a complete and total big city dweller for all of my adult life, the closest I have ever been to having my own garden before this year was cultivating a couple of window boxes full of petunias at our last apartment and a basil plant in the kitchen window. That's one of the great things about the Twin Cities - you can live in the city and still have a little earth to call your own without selling your first born child.
A couple days ago I noticed that the radishes I had grown from seed were looking big enough to eat.  It seems like a small miracle to me that anything I planted from seed grows into a plant.  Especially one that is big enough to eat.  Amazing.
Here comes my little helper.

Fiona helped pull these babies out of the ground. 
Check out these red beauties.  
Hmmm, probably want to wash them before consumption.  But a little dirt won't hurt.
We harvested the lettuce and spinach today and had a great salad with our radishes.  Fiona even ate her leafy salad.
I hope the Swiss Chard will taste as good as it looks.  Going to wait a little longer to harvest it.
Yum.  

No comments:

Post a Comment