Friday, March 2, 2012

Documenting the End?


I have lived in New York for over 7 years now. I have spent much of my adult life here. I met my husband here 7 years ago. I had my daughter here last year. However, my time here may be nearing its end. Our family's future path may take us to a different place. It is uncertain if we will stay here or not. Therefore, I am starting a little project to document, for myself and for my daughter Fiona, New York as it exists to me right now. All the things that speak to me in this city, and in particular, in our neighborhood of Manhattan Valley (the UPPER Upper West Side), both good and bad. The city is such a strong presence when you live here. And I want to remember it well for it has really given me so much. And I have gone through so much here. I look forward to our new adventures as a family but will always remember New York if we leave it.

The picture above is of the Art Deco Master Building at Riverside and 103rd Street taken from within Riverside park at dusk in early February of this year. The building's shape always catches my eye and incites happy memories since some of our good friends live there as well as it was where we rented an apartment for our parents to stay when Fiona was born last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment